Over the past few days, the Internet has educated me that the Aurora massacre was really perpetrated by:
- President Obama, to be able to push tighter gun control
- The CIA, to eliminate the service members who were killed (the other audience members being “collateral alibi damage”)
- The Jews, because, hey, Zionist World Conspiracy
- The Tea Party, because those people are just so damn angry and violent
- The Occupy movement, because those people are just so damn angry and violent
- The BATFE, to draw attention away from the “Fast & Furious” investigations.
It seems that the natural tendency in the face of such appalling, senseless carnage is to assign responsibility to the people and political viewpoints one doesn’t like, and then to project one’s own attitudes onto them, all before the first bit of evidence comes in.
This is one of those weeks when I spend a great deal of time wondering how our species has ever made it down from the trees and off the African savanna. I can’t decide whether a species that has learned to harness the atom and fly to the moon, but whose members kill each other over trivial shit is too smart or too stupid for its own good. Somewhere in the galaxy there’s some civilization that uses humanity as a cautionary educational tale: “What happens when apes get smart enough to invent projectile weapons.”
And with that, I think I’ll turn this Intertubes thing off for a bit and go make something.